Bhubaneswar: The Biju Janata Dal on Thursday stated that the stated deserved a better rail share in the Union Budget 20-21. He added that it is definitely injustice to a state, which contributes maximum rail revenue. In a press release Rajya Sabha MP and BJD national spokesperson Sasmit Patra raised the following few key issues.
- The reduction in overall allocation for the state is a cause of serious concern as Odisha remains one of the least rail coverage states in the country despite the state contributing maximum revenue.
- We welcome the Gopalpur-Sambalpur proposed line. This will be a big economic booster to the area if executed in time.
- No new railway project has been introduced in sectors that were suggested by the state with a commitment to share cost. We expected to get sanction for projects like Puri-Konark; Bargarh-Nuapada; Jajpur-Aradi-Dhamra; Chakulia-Buramara, Gunupur-Therubali (new line) where State has committed assistance.
- We welcome introduction of more Tejas type trains. We hope more numbers of such trains would be introduced in Odisha.
- Lastly, Railways must improve their expenditure and track record in completion of delayed projects.